Waimea Heights was established in 1953, when the Tasmanian Education Department decided that an additional school was needed to cater for the growing number of young families in Lower Sandy Bay.
Initially the school consisted of just six rooms with a gymnasium and library. Early plans considered building a high school on the site, so a large site was established. However, those high school plans were soon dropped and Waimea Heights now enjoys large grounds as a consequence.
The school takes its name from the adjacent Waimea Heights subdivision of land which occurred in 1941. The subdivision itself was named after the nearby Waimea House (today 44 Waimea Avenue). This house was built in 1908, and was possibly named from a Polynesian, Maori or Hawaiian word meaning ‘the stream with the forgotten name’.
The school’s emblem of the seagull in flight with the motto ‘Ever Onwards’ was designed in 1953/54, and it continues today in our school crest.